After I accomplished this task, I took on a much bigger (and somewhat painful) project. It was the cleansing of partially started, half-finished and nearly completed writing pieces.
I printed everything that isn’t finished (in my case nothing was finished!) It required a lot of paper and ink but I knew that unless I actually made hard copies, they would continue to remain as saved documents…collecting virtual dust.
After each item was printed, I wrote on the first page what it was (article, story, etc.). It helped me to organize the pieces.
When everything was finally printed, I was amazed at how much I had accomplished. That gave me hope.
But on the other hand, it was also blazingly obvious how little I had actually completed. That brought discouragement.
Then I had to remind myself, that this was the whole purpose of the cleansing. It was to make something of the work I had done and to actually finish something.
Before making any decisions on what I was going to do with what I had printed (which I will get into next week), I filed each piece into its own manila folder. After tucking them away, there was this renewed hope that rose up inside of me.
Now that I have made huge strides toward cleaning out the junk drawer of my mind, I am ready to implement what is useful and toss what isn’t. But I warn you…this will likely be the most difficulty part of the process, as you begin to bury some of those writing projects.
Yet in the end, you will have in front of you something that you are ready to breathe life into. Now that sounds exciting!